Ahmednagar Travel GuideAhmednagar is all about military, forts, Mughal history and temples. It houses some of country’s ancient temples, tombs of spiritual leaders and important military base. It encompasses one of the most prominent villages in the state, Ralegansidhi which is known as a prototype of environmental conversation. The Pimpri Gawali village in the Pamer Taluka has implemented the best of rain water harvesting to support the farmers. All these aspects make Ahmednagar a city of national importance.
Tourist Spots in AhmednagarThe city also includes a number of tourist spots. Most of these are of religious importance. Let us look at a close look at each of these:
Vishal Ganapati Mandir: This revered Ganpati Temple is located in the Maliwada area in the city. It is visited by several devotees of Lord Gnesha almost all through the year.
Renuka/Durga Temple: The temple dedicated to Goddess Durga is located in Kedgaon which is situated close to the Ahmednagar railway station as well as the Ahmednagar ST bus-stand. It is around 3 km and 5 km away respectively.
Lord Shiva Temple: This is one of the oldest temples of Lord Shiva. It is situated in the mountains of Dongargan around 8 km away from Ahmednagar city.
Datta Dewasthan: This temple, dedicated to Lord Datta, is located at Savedi Road in the city.
The Chand Bibi Palace: This is the tomb of Salabat Khan. It is a remarkable stone structure in a hill which is 13 km away from the city.
Meher Baba: The tomb of spiritual master Meher Baba is situated in Meherabad.
- Ahmednagar is an important military base. In the British period it was the Indian base for Indian Armoured Corps.
- Today, it has several important organizations like the ACC&S (Indian Armoured Corps center and school) where the army professionals are trained and recruited. It also houses MIRC (Mechanised Infantry Regimental Center), VRDE (Vehicle research and development establishment), CQAV (Controllerate of quality assurance vehicle) all related to defense.
- The pin code of this place is 414001.
- The telephone code is 0241.
- The vehicle registration number is MH 16, 17.
- The official website of this city is www.ahmednagar.gov.in
This place has produced some notable personalities like:
- Cricketers: Zaheer Khan and Ajinkya Rahane
- Painter and Sculptor: Pramod Kamble
- Spiritual Master: Shirdi Sai Baba, Jain saint: AnandRishiji, Spiritual leader: Meher Baba
- Film Actor: Shahumodak
- Social Activist: Anna Hazare
Malls and Restaurants in AhmednagarThere are several restaurants in the city that serve mouthwatering food. Here are the details of the same:
SH 142, Maliwada, Maharashtra State Highway 2, Maliwada, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra 414001
SH 142, Maharashtra State Highway 10, Savedi
Kedgaon, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra 414005
MG Road, Ahmednagar
The following are the malls located in the city:
- Jagdanba shopping Mall
- Bhistabag, Ahmednagar
- Sanjay Kirana Stores
- Anand Nagar, Ahmednagar
Historical Monuments and Forts in AhmednagarAhmednagar Fort: The Ahmednagar fort is one of the oldest and the most popular forts located in the city. It was used as a prison at one point of time. This is where Jawahar Lal Nehru and other Indian nationalists were imprisoned. The book “The Discovery of India” was written by Nehru during his term here. It is now a partial museum and is also a tourist attraction.
Harish Chandragad: It is a hill fort. The place has buildings of Mughal architecture like palaces, mosques, forts and tombs.
Cavalry Tank Museum: This museum has been constructed by the ACC&S. It has the display of armoured fighting vehicles of the 20th century.
Wildlife sanctuaries: The Karjattaluka in Ahmednagar city has the Rehekuri blackbuck sanctuary which has 2.17 square km of area.
For more on history of Ahmednagar, click here
Administration in AhmednagarThe type of government here is Mayor-Council Government. The present mayor of the city is Sangram Jagtap and Vijay Kulkarni is the Municipal Commissioner.
Geography of Ahmednagar
- The total area of the city is around 39.30 square km and it is located at an elevation of about 649m.
- The density of population measured here is 8900 per square km.
- Its placement in the rain shadow region of the Western Ghats makes it prone to drought and hot climate.
- It is situated in the time zone of IST (UTC+5:30).
For more on geography of Ahmednagar, click here
Business and Economy of AhmednagarAhmednagar’s economy has improved over time. It houses a number of small and big businesses that contribute to the economy. A major share is derived from the sugar factories situated here. The city encompasses as many as 19 sugar factories here.
Culture of AhmednagarMarathi is the local language of the city. Hindi is also spoken by a good number of people residing here however it has the impact of Dakhani dialect. The literacy rate here on an average is 84%. For more on culture of Ahmednagar, click here
How to Reach AhmednagarAhmednagar has the sea plance service, the port of which is located in Mula Dam reservoir.
Ahmednagar railway station runs trains to various cities including Pune, Goa, Nasik, Daund, Shirdi, Manmad, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, New Delhi, Ahmedabad and Bangalore. Ahmednagar is connected to Pune, Nashik, Beed, Solapur, through four lane road - National Highway 222 goes through Ahmednagar.
MSRTC (Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation) is the government bus transport operator.
The internal transport system includes the AMT bus service which is the intra-city bus service, linking suburbs. Auto rickshaw provides personal transport facility.